9 Minutes A Day Is The Magic Number For Better Personal Branding
Professionals know it’s important to promote yourself to step up the corporate ladder. But if you think you don’t have the time for that, think again. Personal branding expert William Arruda says all you need is nine minutes every day.
Arruda says he researched the topic after LinkedIn asked him to come up with the best amount of time people need to spend on their own branding every day. He settled on nine minutes because it’s less daunting than a double-digit figure, you’re likely to be able to make and schedule that time daily, and it lets you focus on the task at hand without getting distracted or bogged down by its size. Plus, it also adds up as nine minutes per weekday translates into 45 minutes a week, or roughly one full work-week each year.
There are lots of things you can do for your personal brand in this time, Arruda says:
- Update your LinkedIn status, letting your contacts know what you are up to or what your opinion is on a timely topic.
- Reach out to a former colleague or manager to reinforce your connection.
- Discover your brand color. Then use it in your personal communications, your email signature and your online profiles.
- Ask for feedback, recommendations and endorsements from managers, clients and other colleagues.
- Research thought-leaders in your area of expertise on the web and choose one or two to follow.